Homeowners’ Top 3 Electrical Issues

Roy Bartholomew Sonora CA

March 24, 2023

Electrical Issues

If you’re a homeowner, chances are you’ve had to deal with some electrical issues. These problems are a pain and can be hazardous. Surges happen when a lightning strike or other external force disrupts the flow of electricity.

Lights Are Dim

Dim lights are a common problem and may indicate that something is wrong with your wiring.

Ideally, all your appliances should be on their own electrical circuits. This ensures that they are drawing a consistent amount of power and prevents a circuit overload.

If you are using a large appliance like an air conditioner or dryer, they may be causing the light to dim by drawing too much power from the same circuit. You can try to minimize the use of these appliances or have your electrician run dedicated circuits for them to reduce this issue.

High Electricity Bills

One of the most frustrating things about electric bills is that they can go up suddenly and unexpectedly. It can be a shock to find out your bill has soared in less than a month, and it can be hard to figure out what is driving those costs up.

A big part of your energy bill is how much electricity you use. That can include your air conditioning, heating, lights, appliances, and more.

While you may not have control over how much you use, there are ways to reduce your energy consumption and save money on your electric bill. For example, unplug devices that you aren’t using often, or put them on a power strip and shut them off when not in use.

Shocks When Touching Devices or Switches

If you are touched by a faulty light switch, or an old electrical switch without a ground wire, you could receive a shock.

The main reason you may receive a shock when touching devices or switches is because of static electricity. This is formed on the surface of objects during dry and less humid seasons, specifically on hands. This is usually the result of friction, when one material loses its electrons and the other gains them.

Flickering Lights

Loose wiring in a light fixture, outlet or switch box can lead to a dangerous condition called electrical arcing.

This is when electricity jumps over gaps in connections and is extremely dangerous, so always call an electrician to fix it as soon as possible.

Buzzing Sounds

If you hear a humming or buzzing noise in your home, it may be a sign of an electrical problem. Whether it’s from a circuit breaker, outlet, or device, you should listen closely to see where it’s coming from and how loud it is.

You might also hear a hum from a mains breaker, which is a switch that controls all other switches in your home or business. This is caused by the alternating current in your power system changing polarity almost 50 times per second.

A mains hum is generally harmless, though it can be irritating if the sound becomes louder and more metallic in tone. This could be due to a damaged or outdated circuit breaker, faulty wiring or water damage.